- Saturday, March 25, 2017. Environmental Issues Team Meeting, 10 am - noon, Chapel Hill Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27214,Room D.
- Saturday, April 1, 2017. The LWVODC Environmental Issues Team is hosting a presentation on Fracking in North Carolina, on Saturday April 1, 2017, from 10:00 AM until noon, at the Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Dr., Chapel Hill. The presentation is based on a study conducted by the Moore County League of Women Voters (LWVMC) that includes a discussion of the environmental impact of fracking, data on job creation, and potential costs to local communities. The program is free and open to the public. Free parking is available.
- April 29, 2017, Presentation: The Status of NC Environmental Legislation and Actions for Advocacy. NC Senator Woodard, who is a member of the Senate Agricultural/Environment/Natural Resources Committee, will speak. This comes at a time when substantial changes are being considered. Please join us for this important update and discussion from 10 am - noon, Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514.
ACTION ALERT: STOP THE REPEAL
ACA's transformational reforms provide universal health care for all Americans. Children will no longer be denied coverage due to pre-existing conditions, young adults can stay on their parents' health plans as dependents until age 26, Medicare participants will have annual check-ups and mammograms, and many uninsured Americans will now have health care coverage. It also include coverage of preventive care, limits on out-of-pocket costs, and a prohibition on life-time insurance caps. The ACA ensures that women can no longer be charged more for health care than men.
Monday, April 3, 2017, 1 pm - 2:30 pm. The next LWVODC Public Education Team Meeting. Chapel Hill Public Library, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514. Meeting Room D
NC Representative Graig Meyer's November 14, 2016 presentation to LWVODC: NC Public Education and the NC Legislature, What is on the Horizon, can be watched on Youtube. Because of the length of the video, it is posted in two parts. Part 1 and Part 2
- Monday, April 3, 7 pm in Raleigh. Training by Wake LWV on how to talk with legislators about redistricting reform. Please contact Bev Kawalec at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you plan to attend.
- Wednesday, April 5, 2017, 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm, University Club in Durham. REDISTRICTING REFORM. Join us and our speaker to focus on the need for nonpartisan redistricting reform and understanding the NC redistricting legislative bills HB200/S209.
Tues., April 4, 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm. Gaps in Domestic Violence Services: Exploring Housing Options Join LWVODC members and our distinguished speakers as we discuss the prevalence of domestic violence in our community and examine ways local and state-wide service providers are tackling housing needs. Location: Chapel Hill Public Library: Meeting Room B, 100 Library Drive, Chapel Hill, NC.
- Cordelia Heaney: Executive Director, Compass Center for Women and Families, Chapel Hill, NC
- Dr. Cindy Fraga Rizo: Assistant Professor, UNC School of Social Work
- Dana W. Mangum: Executive Director, NC Coalition Against Domestic Violence